Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Leaving Hogwarts



The summer after fifth grade my mom bought me a relatively short paper-back book that I had no interest in reading.  Unfortunately, that year it was a required read in my sixth grade Language Arts class.  I had no idea  how much a children's book could change me life. It was about what it meant to be a true friend, about belonging, and about how family didn't always meant those kin to you.  Later as the book series, and I, matured, I realized it was also about choosing good or evil, how to thrive even when our past is a dark place, and it showed how sometimes the lines between good and evil can be blurry and confusing.  Some people may not let their children read these books bc the witch craft and the dark themes, and you know what I feel sorry for any child whose parent won't let them read a story about a boy who had all the reason in the world to turn out evil and cold-heart, but bc of love he chose the right choices and made earth better because of it. I feel like I have been on this journey with Harry Potter for a longer time and it sad to see it end.


Seeing the final installment of the Harry Potter phenomenon is bitter-sweet. I love how I was able to share this with my friends, but it was also hard to see it end.  After each book, I felt like Hogwarts was waiting on JK Rowling to finish  the next book so I could enter into its halls once more.  In a way its kind of like graduating high school.  You know that the memories will always be there, but it will never quite be the same; except, at least with high school the excitement of college was close to follow.  What's to follow Harry?


To be honest, the Harry Potter series isn't the best book series I've ever read, its not the best written, or even the most original, but in a way I think it helps define who I am in a small way.  Harry is the boy who lived, but I am a girl who grew up with that boy.  I think there will always be a part of me waiting for a half-giant with a magic umbrella to show up at the door. 

I'd like you thank JK Rowling for teaching me about true friendships and  the value of family, for telling the world that maybe the ones we think are bad are just misunderstood.  Thanks for not only giving us heroes like Harry who were destined for greatness, but for the heroes, like Neville, who became great.  Thanks for letting us Muggles share in the adventures of Hogwarts.
You can check out pics from our Harry Potter Party on my fb and on http://www.thenewsstar.com/ on the gallery section.

1 comment:

  1. beautiful HP art work made by yours truly! Don't worry I won't sue for you not giving me credit once again!

    ReplyDelete