Sunday, July 3, 2011

Mango Shaped-space


I had a fantastic trip to San Antonio and was planning to have a chill-week before me, Anna, and Alyssa venture to New Orleans.  When we got back from our trip Dominoes, the cow-spotted "middle-child" cat, was there to greet us all with her obnoxious meow.  Lightning and Fey weren't there, but we dismissed any worry from our minds, because Lightning often disappears for several days after we go on a trip, and this was Fey's first time home without us.  We figured she was acting like big brother Lightning.  It was Tuesday and we still hadn't seen Fey, and none of the neighbors had seen her since the Tuesday before. After calling and calling for her, one of the kids in the neighborhood found her under a tree.  Fey's back legs weren't working and she was obviously dehydrated.  They scooped her up brought her home, gave her water and food and got her comfy.  After getting hydrated get tail began to move a little, then one of her back legs.  Things looked bad, but she's a kitten and surely, we thought, she would be okay.  The vet said otherwise.  While at work, I got a call from Dad, who was crying. He told me they were going to have to put her down; she had a crushed pelvis, unfixable. I collapsed into tears and spent a good bit of time sitting on the floor of the staff bathroom cry. 


I only had Fey for about 9 months since October, but I loved her from the very beginning.  After Mischief died in August (after a long healthy cat life--13 years old). I didn't think I could love another cat so quickly.  Fey was a remarkable kitten. She loved books, not a reader but she loved to sleep and play on my book shelf. She also loved picture frames; she loved knocking over the same picture frames nearly everyday.  Most time she didn't like to cuddle, but every once in awhile she was a cuddly-kitten and wouldn't let you get more then 3 or 4 feet away from her.  There was many times that I had to let her sit in my bathroom while I was in the shower or she would cry.  Sometimes as she waited to me to get out the shower she would start crying, until I'd tell her "Don't worry Fey, I'm right here." And as soon as she heard or saw me peek through the shower curtain she would stop crying. 


I am going to miss her bringing in dead skinks and half dead birds. I am going to miss hiding ANYthing with a feather on it from her. And I am even going to miss her waking me up because she's crying about being lonely or her sleeping on top of me.




When we first got Fey, Anna used to say I'm going to cry when Baby-kitty grows into a cat.  Now, we are sorry that she never got the opportunity to grow up to be a beautiful black cat, and I think that is the worse thing about this. We had such a short time with this precious kitten.  It upsets me to think that there are thousands of unwanted cats in the area, and the one the had to be put down was the cat I wanted most in the world.

Once it was Fey that cried because she was lonesome and missed me, but now I'm the on crying for her.  I'll miss you, Fey.

No comments:

Post a Comment